Tahir Ün was born in Turkey. He has been working periodically at Xinjiang (Uighur) Autonomous Region of China, Balkans, Caucasia and Turkey as a freelance photographer, videographer, curator and activist. Tahir Ün is an instructor at Yasar University.
His works accepted to some collections such as Istanbul Modern Museum, Polaroid Collection, Collection of Ransom Center Photography at Texas University, Colección del Centro de Fotografía de Tenerife, State Museum of Majdenek and Rhizome Artbase.Tahir Ün published four books titled “Imagined Views/Moments of Revulsion” Photographs (1990) and “The Poetic Introduction of Representation of the Hidden Photograph” Poems (1995), “Xinjiang : My Ancestral Land” photographs (2012) and “Ali” photographs (2014). In addition, his articles about image theory are published in various Turkish art magazines since 2000. His works have been displayed in numerous worldwide events including 29 one-man exhibitions.
Some important photo and video awards and distinctions:
- Archifoto International Architecture Photography Awards, 'İzmir, no heritage for the future' is finalist, (2017) Strasbourg, France.
- First prize in photography category of competition themed 'Xinjiang' by CRI (China Radio International), (2017) Urumchi, China.
- "Father Tongue", my video, is awarded for "The Film With Most Profound Message" of Uhvati Film Festival in (2017) Novi Sad, Serbia
- “Xinjiang: Re-Construction”, my project, was nominee for Photogrvphy Grant (2017), London, U.K.
- Photo Annual Awards (PAA), First prize & special Prize Czech Center Photography, for "Camel Wrestling" (2015), Teplice, Czechia