Tahir Ün was born in Turkey. He has been working periodically at Xinjiang (Uighur) Autonomous Region of China, Balkans, Caucasia and Turkey as a freelance photographer, videographer, curator and activist. Tahir Ün is an instructor at Yasar University.
His works accepted to some collections such as Istanbul Modern Museum, Polaroid Collection, Collection of Ransom Center Photography at Texas University, Colección del Centro de Fotografía de Tenerife, State Museum of Majdenek and Rhizome Artbase.
Tahir Ün published four books titled “Imagined Views/Moments of Revulsion” Photographs (1990) and “The Poetic Introduction of Representation of the Hidden Photograph” Poems (1995), “Xinjiang : My Ancestral Land” photographs (2012) and “Ali” photographs (2014). In addition, his articles about image theory are published in various Turkish art magazines since 2000.
He is founder of VideoArt.Ist International Video Art Screening Program. His works have been displayed in numerous worldwide events including 29 one-man exhibitions.
Some important photo and video awards and distinctions:
- Archifoto International Architecture Photography Awards, 'İzmir, no heritage for the future' is finalist, (2017) Strasbourg, France.
- First prize in photography category of competition themed 'Xinjiang' by CRI (China Radio International), (2017) Urumchi, China.
- "Father Tongue", my video, is awarded for "The Film With Most Profound Message" of Uhvati Film Festival in (2017) Novi Sad, Serbia
- “Xinjiang: Re-Construction”, my project, was nominee for Photogrvphy Grant (2017), London, U.K.
- Photo Annual Awards (PAA), First prize & special Prize Czech Center Photography, for "Camel Wrestling" (2015), Teplice, Czechia
- FotoVisura Grant, honorable mention for “Nakhchivan” (2013), USA.
- Patras Independent Film & Video Festival, The Best VideoArt Prize for “Pose” (2012), Greece.
- Krakow SnapFilm Festival, The 2nd. Prize for “Facial Perception” in category: Experimental (2012), Poland.
- Fonland Festival, The Best Digital Image Prize for “Nihility or Identity” (2011), Portugal.
- AFAD and Seyhan Municipality, The Sahin Kaygun Prize for “the best Turkish Photographer” (1993), Turkey.
- Photo Awards of The Ministry of Culture, The First Prize for Black and White Photography (1992), Turkey.
- Nasreddin Hodja International Photo Competition, 2nd. prize, (1988), Turkey.
Important selected solo & group shows
Also, you can see my moving image screenings on the videoart page.
2015 • 5th. Photo Annual Awards Exhibition, “Camel Wrestling”, TEPLICE. • XIII.Fotonoviembre Int. Biennial “Atlantica Colectivas”, Centro Cultural de GUIA DE ISORA. • PHODAR 9th. Photo Biennial Exhibition, “The Shift in Coal Mine”, Ilia Beshkov Art Gallery, PLEVEN. • Kolga Photo Festival, “The best photos of the year” joint show , TBILISI. • 4th. Scopio Photo Awards Exhibition, “Xinjiang:Re-Construction”, RIBA, LONDON.
2014 • BURSA FOTOFEST Exhibition, “Silk Road Dwellers”, BURSA. • FOTONIC Photo Festival, Evening Screenings, “Xinjiang:Re-Construction” and “The Shift in Coal Mine”, LJUBLJANA. • Kolga Photo Festival, “The best photos of the year” joint show , TBILISI. • Espy Photography Award Exhibition, “Urban & Rural” joint exhibit, SWANSEA.
• “Xinjiang : My Ancestral Land” solo photo exhibition, Kara Gallery,ANKARA.
• ART SUR-FACES, digital image joint exhibition, Gallery Margarida de Araújo, SERPA.